- January 2, 2021
- Posted by: Rattnam Shukla
- Category: E-Waste
Many of us have heard this term Carbon Footprint, but many do not understand the real meaning of it. If we go by the explanation of Carbon Footprint given by the World Health Organization, then it says that Carbon Footprint is the measure of the impact of our daily lives and its effect on the emission of Carbon Dioxide. In simple words, it is everything that we do in our daily lives and its impact on the environment. We talk a lot about global warming and how it is happening because of so much industrialization but it is important to understand that more than any government, country or nation, it becomes our choices as individuals that we choose and this can happen only if we acknowledge our activities and stress upon a low carbon footprint.
How to Reduce Carbon Footprint?
- Go Solar: This is the biggest, easiest and most famous method of doing our bit towards the environment to low carbon footprint. This is one point where we can say that going towards nature can only save us. Using the unlimited potential of nature is the best possible way of reducing the consumption of fossil fuels and hence, lowering Carbon Footprint.
- Daily Habits: As the definition by WHO says that it is our daily activity that affects the carbon footprint, we should try and adopt such habits and practices that are sustainable like switching off appliances that are no longer in use. Turning the tap off when it is no longer in use. Using bicycles for travelling on short distances and for even short distances we can choose walking. This both practices are not only helpful in terms of the environment but will also help us stay healthy.
- Managing Garbage: This is one big problem, where it is difficult to manage the waste that comes out of our homes, because it is not handled in the correct way and it acts as a pollutant to our environment. We can use the bio-degradable waste as manure by burying it into the soil. Using less plastic-based products or trying to reuse them. If the waste is electronic in nature, even then there are places where these are treated in the best way keeping in mind the impact of it on the environment.
- Conserve Rain Water: Rain is one of the best sources of freshwater given to us by nature. But how many many times are we able to harness the benefits of it? The answer is very less. We should try and save rainwater. Another thing that should be kept in mind is that you should try to use less water while having a shower, this is because it will save a considerable amount of water.
- Increase the use of Public Transport: Using your car for going to the office or any other place, maybe luxurious or comfortable to you. But in the long term, it is g[doing harm to our environment. We must develop a habit of using public transport as much as possible. This practice will not only do good to the environment but also reduce your expense on fuels. There is another concept of carpooling where a group of people going to the same place, use one car of any one member rather than every individual taking his own vehicle. This is another great way to do our bit towards safeguarding the environment.
- Global Warming will be on the back foot: If the above habits are religiously practiced, they have the potential of reversing the Global warming scenario. From efficient energy consumption to efficient use of water resources, reduces the usage of fossil fuels and efficient use of the garbage, we by far take care about a number of major factors that are a big player in increasing global warming.
- A Healthy Future: The above practices not only ensure a low carbon footprint but also help you lead a healthy and happy life. You will be able to spend more on things that fascinate or energies you rather spending a bulk of your earnings on medicines and paying visits to the doctor’s place.
At last, we can say that a low carbon footprint is important not just for the sake of the environment but it has become important for us as well. If we are determined to give our future generations a sustainable future and a healthy air to breathe, we must follow sustainable practices without any further delay.